| Posts |
|
Greece to investigate possible involvement in Srebrenica killings
A Greek prosecutor launched an investigation on Monday to probe possible Greek involvement in the Srebrenica killings in Bosnia in 1995 . Several Bosnian Serbs have already been arrested for their roles. Many of the arrested were members of a param (More) |
|
At least seven more Bosnian Serbs arrested over Srebrenica killings
A senior Bosnian Serb police officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Friday that seven Bosnian Serbs have been arrested in the past two days for involvement in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre [BBC timeline; JURIST news archive]. The attorney (More) |
|
Suspected war criminal Mladic to turn himself in for $5M
Former Bosnia Serb General Ratko Mladic , who has been indicted for war crimes, has agreed to turn himself over to the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia , in exchange for $5 million for his family and associates, according t (More) |
|
Croatian arrests, Serb verdict put Scorpions under pressure
Croatia on Friday arrested 10 people suspected of committing war crimes against Bosnian Muslims in the 1990s. The arrests were made in eastern Croatia, an area with a large ethnic Serb population and where several former members of the Serb paramili (More) |
|
Meltdown at the Milosevic Trial: A Much Delayed Rush to Judgment
JURIST Guest Columnist William Schabas says that the seemingly-interminable trial of Slobodan Milosevic at The Hague is a poor model for international justice, and in the long run may not serve the purpose for which it was undertaken... The trial o (More) |
|
Dutch UN commander claims troops didn't know Serb intent in Srebrenica
The commander of Dutch UN troops in Srebrenica in 1995 told a preliminary hearing at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia Thursday that he did not know Serbian forces had begun killing Muslim men and boys until it was too (More) |
|
Serbian PM denies negotiating surrender with wanted war criminal
Serbian Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica denied earlier reports Thursday that his government was negotiating a surrender with war crimes suspect Ratko Mladic . Two Serbian newspapers and a rights activist claimed that the government was contactin (More) |
|
War crimes prosecutor presses for arrest of Srebrenica killers
The UN war crimes prosecutor for the former Yugoslavia called for the arrest of three men responsible for the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of Bosnian Muslims in an address to the UN Security Council Monday. Carla del Ponte outlined the successes of t (More) |
|
Srebrenica killings video leads to another arrest
A man identified from a graphic video [JURIST Monitor file] shot during the Srebrenica massacre of Bosnian Muslims in 1995 was arrested on Monday in Croatia. Slobodan Davidovic had recently admitted to the New York Times [New York Times report] tha (More) |
|
Bosnian Serb president condemns videotaped Srebrenica killings
Bosnian Serb President Dragan Cavic Friday denounced the brutal killing of six Bosnian Muslim youths by Serb paramilitaries recorded on video in Srebrenica in 1995 and shown on Serbian television after being introduced in evidence last week at the (More) |
Accused Nazi war criminal, John Demjanjuk, put on trial in Israel
On February 16, 1987, accused Nazi war criminal, John Demjanjuk, went on trial in Jerusalem, Israel. The prosecution claimed that Demjanjuk was a notorious prison guard known as "Ivan the Terrible" at the Treblinka extermination camp during World War II. On this basis, Demjanjuk was convicted by the Israeli court of crimes against humanity. However, in August 1993, the conviction overturned by Israel's Supreme Court on a finding of reasonable doubt.
After the decision by the Supreme Court of Israel, Demjanjuk was returned to the United States, where he had been moved after World War II. On December 22, 2006, the U.S. Board of Immigration Appeals ordered him deported to the Ukraine on a finding that he had been a guard at other Nazi concentration camps.