Site Search


Posts
Saudi government frees 18 ex-Guantanamo detainees
The Saudi Arabia Interior Ministry announced Tuesday that the government has freed eighteen former Guantanamo Bay detainees "after meeting necessary legal conditions." A spokesperson for the ministry stated that the government will conti (More)
US review boards cleared 46 Guantanamo detainees for transfer home in 2006
US Defense Department Administrative Review Boards (ARB) reviewing the status of prisoners held by the US at Guantanamo Bay cleared 46 detainees for transfer to the custody of their home countries, according to new figures posted on the DOD websi (More)
Former Guantanamo prisoners held by home governments after latest transfers
Sixteen Saudis and a Bangladeshi man repatriated from Guantanamo Bay earlier this week to their home countries are being detained by their governments. Saudi Arabian authorities say they are holding their nationals in order to investigate whether t (More)
US releases 17 more Guantanamo detainees
The US Department of Defense announced Sunday that it has transferred 17 more Guantanamo Bay detainees to their home countries for detention or release, bringing the number of detainees released from Guantanamo this year to 114. Seven of the newly (More)
The Military Commissions Act of 2006: 'Play it Again, [Uncle] Sam'
JURIST Special Guest Columnist Kathleen Duignan, Executive Director of the National Institute of Military Justice, says that the Military Commissions Act of 2006 again puts US JAG officers in the awkward position of litigating the shortfalls of a mil (More)
DOD postpones plans for Guantanamo Bay legal compound
The US Department of Defense (DOD) has indicated that it will seek congressional approval for its planned $100 million Guantanamo Bay legal facility rather than expedite construction by declaring it an emergency expense. US Deputy Secretary of Def (More)
Guantanamo detainees relocated to new maximum security prison
A first group of more than 40 detainees held at the US Naval Base Guantanamo Bay were transferred Thursday to a new $37 million dollar maximum-security prison built by Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root designed to minimize detainee (More)
Federal judge rejects Guantanamo detainee transfer bid for heart operation
US District Judge Paul L. Friedman Monday rejected a Guantanamo Bay detainee's petition to have his heart operation transferred to a civilian facility. Saifullah Paracha [advocacy website; Wikipedia profile], a multimillionaire businessman an (More)
US frees last Guantanamo detainees deemed not enemy combatants
The US Department of Defense (DOD) announced Friday that it had released three detainees from Guantanamo Bay who Combatant Status Review Tribunals had determined not to be enemy combatants . The US Department of State said later that the gove (More)
Federal judge denies detainee access to civilian legal counsel
US District Judge Reggie B. Walton ruled Friday in support of a bid by the US Department of Justice to bar terrorism suspect Majid Khan from access to a civilian lawyer unless and until the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit resolves the iss (More)